BINDING A RUG with WOOL BIAS BINDING

HOW TO MAKE A French Double BIAS BINDING



No matter if you are repairing an old antique rug or finishing a new rug . . . .for me, the  100% WOOL yardage should be cut on the BIAS for STRENGTH.
I learnt this from repairing old quilts and rugs .I thought I would  explain here  how I do it since I am repairing the edge of an antique rug today.

The edge is fragile and beyond repair so I am covering it  with a  BIAS cut  BINDING all in one continuous cut strip.

IT can be DOUBLE LAYERED or SINGLE. . . .which ever you wish.
The seams are neat and angled and do not show much as you can see in PHOTOS to left!
I am posting these pictures  . . . hoping anyone wishing to make one can understand . . . .
if you do not then email me and I will try to explain more clearly!

DYE the WOOL to match! then . . . . .. 
















CUT A SQUARE  depending on how LONG you want the binding . . .


These INSTRUCTIONS are for a DOUBLE LAYER OF FABRIC. . . .
If you want a single layer only  . . . . . 


Example: 1.5 inch binding then make the 3" wide strip and cut in half!

Comments

  1. Judith, thanks so much for taking the time to share this with us.
    I have bound quilts this way but never thought to do it on a mat.
    Take care,
    Lucy Richard

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Message if you find me here!