PRIMITIVE RUGS

PRIMITIVE SCHOONER with SCROLLS
hooked in Digby Nova Scotia by unknown rug hooker

This rug is in my old collection of rugs I started well before I hooked my own rugs.
I got it in Annapolis Royal at an antique store although it is not very old . . . .
It was hooked using acrylic fabrics (not nice texture feeling)and one thing I have learned is NEVER hook  sails in  WHITE when hooking sailing vessels . . . BECAUSE ? . . . 
it has to be washed clean every week!!!!
These scrolls are certainly simple !but . . . . . 
My tastes have become slightly more sophisticated since I acquired this rug!
I think primitives can be a bit more interesting now in 2010 with all the rugs to look at.I know that this rug hooker probably had never seen many, if any ,other  hooked rugs  . . .

Comments

  1. I think that this rug looks quaint if that's the word to use. I was told by my teacher to not use white either and use off white for my cow rug. JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK--so this was done years ago---and it's still looking good in spite of the fabric. I prefer wools too. I use white wool, sometimes for snow, and splashes in clouds, not usually for floor pieces.
    Hey--Judith---when are you coming back to Montreal?
    Miss you---your southern neighbor--ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. BURMA -I am back . . . .this rug was not so long ago . . .maybe the 70s ?SPANDEX is not great no matter when rug was hooked!!!See you soon!-Your northern neighbour . . . .so near yet so far!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Message if you find me here!