REPAIRING OLD ANTIQUE HOOKED RUGS

REPAIRING is for LOVE  ONLY!

 I have had this mat for 3 years and could not decide wether to hook from scratch or repair the old one!
Finally after  much thought, I could not bear to let the old one rot in a garage on top of my DH's antique car . . .as is what happens in our house to old rugs that are beyond  fixing . . .. 


The Burlap is brittle . . . so I steamed it a long time . . .just in case it helps it . . . because the problem with old mats is that after you have repaired them they continue to disintegrate if you even LOOK at them!


Thats why I have given up repairing for other people . . . .
So. . . first  to repair the hole in the leaf -I sewed on with linen thread (cotton ok also). . .  a piece of linen backing , here in photo from the back . . .I reinforced as many loops around the hole as possible.. . .one by one . . .long job ,yes!
Then I found a piece of recycled wool fabric and re hooked the area that was gone. . .eg. the HOLE.
Turn over to the right side and here is the repair . . .Total time so far spent repairing this rug is  28 hours!@ $20 an hour = much more than the person paid for the mat in the first place!
Yes ,only repair for the love of the mat! . . .
and I am still only 1/2 way through this job!!!

Comments

  1. Hooked rugs have two major enemies: too vigorous vacuum cleaning, and too much moisture. Use only a gentle hand-held vacuum, or an upholstery attachment, or the floor attachment covered with a piece of cheesecloth to reduce the force of the suction. NEVER, EVER immerse a hooked rug in water to attempt to wash it. If the burlap backing becomes saturated, the wool pile will insulate it from drying and the whole thing will begin to rot.


    rug repairs westport

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Message if you find me here!