FLOWER-OVARIES



More rugs from the show up here today . .
This  one is a flower ovarie rug. . .
I will not give any input myself but rather let the viewer decide what they feel or think ,if anything ,for themselves!


I would like to say that any person who enters a rug  or (anything else into an exhibition) of any kind , open to the public should be aware and be prepared for negative as well as positive feed back and be brave enough when they chose to exhibit not to have hurtie- feelings if someone says something they don't feel is just, regarding their work.
Otherwise -its their choice they should not enter their rug to the show.
I know  rug hookers who do extraordinary work but wont show it for this very reason . . .


An artist makes something because they are driven to it and have to create the work . . .they may not even like it themselves sometimes!


This OVARIE rug, hooked by Emily Robertson is a brave statement and it is HUGE-12 feet  X 8 feet at least . . .I dont think she is worried that folks will love it or not!!!
I heard -it took her 5 months(only!!!) to hook!
I am curious  how the backing was done-how many pieces and how were they connected together . . .not an easy job . . .(I have tried this before  myself on a small rug!)


As to the other day comments,my remark was my own personal reaction to a rug . . .it was not in any way a critique of the rug . . . there is a difference . . . .
Which ever way the rug was noticed !!!. . . .
and that is what counts!


To be walked right by and not given a second (in time) LOOK would be far worse!!!!
REACTIONS COUNT!! in my book!

Comments

  1. Just read your blogs from last 2 weeks.

    Yes, people have all kinds of expectations about you (!), what your blog SHOULD be about, and what is ART??? I've known you always to be encouraging and inspiring, and whatever opinions you have I respect as your commitment to rug hooking has never wavered.

    I don't even think I took the time to look at certain rugs because I know myself well enough to pace my energies to look at what really attracts me--so I by passed many of the more traditional pieces. That being said, I have respect for anyone who spends time hooking away be it patterns, or whatever, as I know the hours days weeks months and years it can take to finish a piece.

    As one who served on the Board I know the Guild has always had a Welcoming attitude to all rug hookers, regardless of the talents and skills. From the start the goals were to spread the joys of rug hooking---come one, come all. Therefore for the shows --anyone who is a member can show--that's the only criteria. Things could change in the future, but for now that's the way the Guild is set up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Message if you find me here!